SIAL Canada is part of the SIAL international network of annual professional trade shows held in Buenos Aires, Paris, Montreal and Toronto (in alternating fashion), and Shanghai.
The jury was chaired by Christine Cheylan, Ph.D., manager of an oil mill in France and an expert in olive oil tasting. The other members were:
- Robert Beauchemin, fine food columnist, La Presse
- Andy Brasseur, consultant and conference speaker (awakening the senses)
- Jonathan Garnier, executive chef and CEO of La Guilde Culinaire
- Denise Langevin, CEO of Agroindustrial Nuevos Campos in Chile and trained in professional olive oil tasting
- Guy Rochon, founder of OGourmet.com fine food store
- Giulio Scatolini, judge certified by the International Olive Council (IOC) since 1995.
The olive oils are divided into three categories: mildly fruity, medium fruity and very fruity. The winners of each category are rewarded with the following prizes: “Goutte d’Or”, “Goutte d’Argent” and “Goutte de Bronze”.
The Goutte d’Or winners are L’Ottobratico Monocultivar from Olearia San Giorgio – Italy (Mildly Fruity), Olicatessen from Moli dels Torms – Spain (Medium Fruity), and Titone Bio & D.O.P. from Titone Azienda Agricola Biologica – Italy (Very Fruity).
The Goutte d’Argent winners are Terre di San Mauro Organic from Olearia San Giorgio – Italy (Mildly Fruity), Casa Anadia from Miguel Sa Pais do Amaral – Portugal (Medium Fruity), and Portico de la Villa de Manuel Montes Marin – Spain (Very Fruity).
The Goutte de Bronze winners are 8 Olivos Blend from Agricola y Forestal Don Rafael Ltda – Chile (Mildly Fruity), Viola Bio from Azienda Agricola Viola – Italy (Medium Fruity), Rincon de la Subbetica Alamoda from Almazaras de la Subbetica – Spain (Very Fruity).